Monday, February 1, 2010

Photojournalism 101



Click here to see slideshow

While at photo school in Rochester you would often hear people saying, "I want to be a photojournalist to make a difference in the world and tell people about stories that get them thinking and make a difference in peoples lives." I even said that kind of stuff myself. I'm sure that I have made some difference since I've been in the business but not what I thinking about when I was a bright eyed 20 year old.

I did get to make a real tangible difference in Robert Blanchard's life. He is an Afghanistan Army Vet with a purple heart and a bad case of PTSD. He was also getting royaly screwed by the VA. After the reporter started looking into his files at the VA the VA magically reversed his benifits compensation and admitted that we had a hand in that. The icing on the cake though was that while researching the story we found a sergions generals investigation of the VA that basically said that the VA was really really messed up and that report was given to the roanoke TV station and made huge waves up there. Please check out my slideshow from the story and read Chris' story. It's one of the best I have ever worked on.

No comments: